Sunday 31 July 2011

Send Me a Rose Tomorrow.


"Amber?"
"Yes?"
"Can I borrow your phone? It's kinda urgent."
"Who are you calling?"
"Someone."
"And, who is the someone?"
"Someone..."
"You have to tell me if you want to call."
"Fine."
I looked around for a second, gazing suspiciously at anything and everything, anyone and everyone. I saw Tlhalefo, Amber, Bontle and Troy near the bench around me. After a few more seconds of observation, I decided it was safe, but only for a whisper.
In a hushed tone, I spoke as soft as I could: "Rose."
Amber smiled with the type of happiness you rarely see in anyone in highschool, she smiled a cutesy toddler smile and said, with an almost equal amount on true/false innocence: "Is she your girlfriend?"
I remained silent, thinking of a good answer.
Amber sighed and mocked my stupid shyness.
"Everyone knows, and you both make it kinda obvious."
"Whatever." I muttered. "Just pass the phone."
I took the phone and typed in Rose's number, I needed to talk to her.
"Hi Rose." 
I tried my best not to smile, people were looking.
"You know we can't stop everybody from finding out right? It was gonna happen eventually."
I heard her sigh at the other end of the line.
Reassuringly I said "I'll think of something, don't worry. Bye and see you tomorrow."
And then my blood stopped flowing for a while, and I stopped worrying about everybody else.
"Love you too." I said into the microphone.
As I handed back the phone, everybody was staring at me awkwardly.
"What?" I said, acting oblivious to the unfolding drama.
"Nothing." they chorused.
Cheryl came onto the scence, bouncing across happily as usual.
"Hey everybody!" she exclaimed as jumped onto the bench.
I wondered what my next course of action should be, and then I decided that collecting information would be a good start.
"So..." I muttered weakly. I was now very aware at how weird everything was becoming, I merely smiled.
"Does everybody know?" I continued.
For a moment there was an eerie yet calm silence.
"About you and Rose?" said Cheryl excitedly. "Please.... You don't know me Tawanda! I'm the gossip queen! OF COURSE I KNOW. INFACT MY WHOLE CLASS KNOWS!"
[Those letters are capitalised for a reason.]
"But how?" I replied, doing my best to show genuine surprise. Rumours always spread.
"Don't know" they all replied.
I growled.

Freakin' liars...


Next time: Thanks For The Rose.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and say something. Please don't troll...and most importantly don't say anything stupid.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts